The three primary reasons I believe Obama is the best choice for President are:
1) his ability to work with and listen to a broad array of sources and synthesize what they advise into coherent, effective policy – regardless of partisan labels
2) his calm and depth of soul and conviction
3) his ability to create a vision and then identify and execute strategies to achieve that coherent vision.
His choice of Biden helps all three of those points.
1) Biden is well known for his bipartisan success
2) Biden tells it like it is – this blends beautifully with Obama’s style
3) Biden has consistently and effectively addressed key issues in the country – showing long term focus and effectiveness
Here are some quotes from various sources:
Sen. Hillary Clinton: In naming my colleague and friend Sen. Joe Biden to be the vice presidential nominee, Sen. Obama has continued in the best traditions for the vice presidency by selecting an exceptionally strong, experienced leader and devoted public servant. Sen. Biden will be a purposeful and dynamic vice president who will help Sen. Obama both win the presidency and govern this great country.
Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel: U.S. Senator Chuck Hagel issued the following statement today following Senator Barack Obama’s selection of Senator Joe Biden as the presumptive Democratic Vice Presidential nominee: “Joe Biden is the right partner for Barack Obama. His many years of distinguished service to America, his seasoned judgment and his vast experience in foreign policy and national security will match up well with the unique challenges of the 21st Century. An Obama-Biden ticket is a very impressive and strong team. Biden’s selection is good news for Obama and America,” Hagel said.
Republican Sen. Richard Lugar: Tbilisi, Georgia – U.S. Sen. Dick Lugar made the following statement today en route to Tbilisi. “I congratulate Senator Barack Obama on his selection of my friend, Senator Joe Biden, to be his vice-presidential running mate. I have enjoyed for many years the opportunity to work with Joe Biden to bring strong bipartisan support to United States foreign policy…“
Republican Sen. Arlen Specter: Pennsylvania’s Arlen Specter, a Republican who serves on the Judiciary Committee with Biden and often rides Amtrak with him to Washington, also offered praise. “No one on the Democratic side knows more about foreign policy than Sen. Biden,” Specter said. “He’s been an articulate spokesman on the subject. He also knows about domestic policy. He’s been a leader on crime control.”